Getting married, changing your look or just trying to bliss out for fall and winter? Take the cruelty free approach by checking out Aveda’s eco-friendly makeup collection for autumn/winter, Jewels of the Earth, featuring limited-edition colors for eyes and lips.
Spotlighting colors that comprise six limited edition Petal Essence™ Single Eye Colors, one limited-edition Nourish-Mint™ Sheer Mineral Lip Color and two limited-edition Nourish-Mint™ Smoothing Lip Colors, the collection is inspired by gemstones and is awash in intense and tarnished tints of blue, green, gold and bronze. Burnished monochromes in smoky and gleaming finishes induce interplay of light and dark.
“Jewels of the Earth is a palette of rich, intense tones,” says Janell Geason, global educator for Aveda Makeup. “Metallic, velvety-dark colors reflect depth and nocturnal elegance. The looks suggest a somber, antique and artistic mood, and the notion of old becoming new.”
As for how to look good and work in favor of Mother Earth with this season’s colors, here are Geason’s top five earth friendly ways to stay beautiful and green well into the upcoming season.
* Think waste reduction. Choose products with minimal, recycled or easily recyclable packaging. Consider also cosmetic product containers. Aveda offers Enviro-Metal Compacts made from 30% post-consumer recycled (PCR) aluminum combined with 20% post-industrial recycled aluminum (PIR). The durable, refillable compacts come in a variety of sizes, can hold eye, cheek and lip colors, and allow palette customization—you fill with only products you want and need. Aveda also offers Refillable Lip Color Cases made of recycled material.
* Try before you buy. Sometimes we purchase things we are attracted to, even if they do not suit us. Many brands, including Aveda, offer professional consultations at no cost. A makeup professional can help you pick the right products, show you how to use them and answer any questions you might have about the company’s social and environmental activities. You avoid time, material and monetary waste while getting a little pampering.
* Support organic and sustainable agriculture. Choose products made with plant-based, organic ingredients and/or responsibly sourced components, like Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified wood and paper. Purchasing products with organic and sustainably-sourced ingredients communicates preference and encourages business to pursue responsible business practices.
* Say no to animal testing. Cruelty-free companies are kind to the earth and her inhabitants. Look for products that are beautifully made using high-integrity ingredients; they’ll make you feel event more beautiful, too. Aveda Makeup Brushes are made of soft Taklon – non-animal – bristles.
* Pick up the phone. Check product packages and company websites for customer service contact information. Thank companies who do things right, and call on environmental offenders to get their act together. Visit brands in their digital media venues, too. Comments visible to the public often get a swift response. You’ll set the example for others to speak up, too.
Beautiful and earthy-friendly, it really is possible.